Friday, November 07, 2008

The Shack



So I finally got to read this book while I was away over half term with my family. A cople of people were like, "You must read this book!", "You'll cry", "You'll love it!"

I did enjoy it. Rather than give a book review, I thought I'd put some quotes in which I thought was good, but before I do that it was interesting to see how authors open up now about what they are listening to while writing, and their influences - pretty cool.

I'm listening to my fan blowing air...

Also, there is a follow on, next stage, what to do after reading the book which I like. It's all on their website.

So some quotes:

"I often find that getting head issues out of the way first makes the heart stuff easier to work on later...when you're ready" (page93)

"I am neither male nor female, even though both genders are derived from my nature.If I choose to appear to you as a man or a woman, its because I love you. For me to appear to you as a woman and suggest you call me Papa is simply to mix metaphors, to help you keep from falling so easily back ito your religious conditioning" (page 93)

"Have you noticed even though you call me Lord and King, I never really acted in that capacity with you?" (page145)

"Women, in general, will find it difficult to turn from a man and stop demanding he meets their needs, provides security, and protects their identity, and return to me. Men, in general, find it very hard to turn from the works of their hands, their own quests for power and security and significance, and return to me." (page147)

"Seriously, my life was not meant to be an example to copy. Being my follower is not trying to 'be like Jesus', it means for your independence to be killed" (page 149)

"Every time you forgive, the universe changes; every time you reach out and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will ever be the same again." (page 235)

No comments: