Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Finishing well

Just spoke at The Crescent Church at lunch time. They had a 10min service, so I shared some thoughts. When I was thinking last night about what to say I couldn't get the phrase 'FINISHING WELL' out of my head, so I take it as God's spirit proding me!

You might recognise one person in this photo - Billy Graham. Well this was taken in 1946 right before the boys came over to Northern Ireland to do a YFC mission. I remembered this story being told to me by JD back when I joined YFC in 2003, and it has stuck with me, almost haunted me.

The guy on the left is called Chuck Templeton. He was described as a brilliant, dynamic preacher. One seminary president called him the most gifted, talented young preacher in America. Templeton and Graham began working together in YFC.

By 1950 Templeton had left the ministry. He pursued a radio career, telling the world he no longer believed Jesus to be the son of God. Read the whole article here

I was watching this last night:


Again it probed me to think about FINISHING WELL. Lola Jones was built up as the favourite to win, and she had a great start. I'm sure she is devastated after all the preparation and sacrifice but I'm sure and hope she will come back and win some day.

When I was a lot younger and a lot lighter, I used to love to sprint the 100metres. I was good. I was fast. So was my sister, and I used to train with her at making her starts faster. The problem was I flew off at the start and slowed down. My sister started slower but got faster and faster, making her better at 200m and 400m.

Adrain Eagleson once siad to me, how you are on the sports field can reflect how we are in life. I tend to start things well, but don't finish them as good. So these 2 stories are reminders and challenges for me to finish well

No comments: